Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Yelp Reviews

http://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-corner-amherst#hrid:l-7YqLcHlauk14TzW-7bhQ/src:self

http://www.yelp.com/biz/raos-coffee-amherst#hrid:Y9W6ntJ_LLf6aqbgjs-lLA/src:self

Yelp.com is a great website. Not only is it efficient in its goal to present "real people" and "real reviews," but it was very user-friendly. It's main function is for people to post their opinions on businesses and restaurants to either encourage or warn people. I can see myself posting reviews in the future if I feel particularly passionate about a place whether it be really good, or really bad. I decided to review two eateries in Amherst: Rao's Coffee and Thai Corner, which are both in Amherst Center. I absolutely love Rao's and have found it to be a saving grace for me as a college student new to the area and the community. I have verbally recommended the place to many friends since I discovered it in January, and I felt like I contributed by writing an encouraging review.

I wasn't as impressed with Thai Corner, which I've only eaten at once. Even though I didn't feel too strongly about it either way, I think my contribution was unique and could point out factors that other people could find interesting or important for their future dining experience.

Some of the reviews complemented each other, which was productive in the sense that users were actually paying attention to other people's opinions to either agree with or disagree with. This also eliminating people saying the same thing over and over again. I like the rating function especially. It provides a way for people to get a quick overall opinion about a particular place without necessarily going into depth. I definitely feel inclined to write reviews for local places back in the Berkshires. Especially since it's such a touristy area, I believe that the contribution of well-written, real-life comments could really make a difference for some places. Yelp can be used by people of all ages, and I was definitely surprised that I hadn't heard of it before this assignment. I will definitely encourage my friends and family to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment